Project #2: Pretty pretty portraits entails turning mind-bending high-fashion photos into pretty, expressive portraits.
Sunday, 5 February 2017 @ 9am to 1pm
The Daily Coffee Cafe, Menlopark
Medium: Mixed Media
HOW IT WORKS
Choose a fashion photograph
Find a fashion photograph that grabs your attention. An interesting pose? An expression? Some interesting props like feathers or flowers or even shapes! Using themes from the photograph we will then represent the photograph on our page as mixed media.
2. Represent the photograph in mixed media
Your art work will consist of 1. printed text (newspapers/books/classifieds/patterns, etc), 2. anything that may add texture (bubble wrap, netting, tissue paper/corrugated cardboard and wood glue) and 3. ‘Found Objects’ such as buttons, fabrics, photos (preferably photocopies), metal bits, fibres, things from nature, inks, pencils, crayons, markers, pastels and polymer clays, to name a few. But don’t be overwhelmed, most of the time less really is more.
WHAT TO BRING
You will receive 1 x mixed media canvass paper, for this project but be sure to bring:
- printed fashion photograph
- Craft glue
- Printed text in a variety of styles (I used newspaper and tissue paper)
- ACRYLIC: Paynes Gray
- ACRYLIC: Titanium buff
- ACRYLIC: 2 x more transparent colours of your choice (I used Transparent Red Iron Oxide and Transparent Yellow Iron Oxide)
- Any ‘found object’ that may add value to your picture. Something like netting or bubble wrap creates great texture while napkins and ‘stickons’ can be added straights to the picture.
- Narrow Flat nylon brush (for painting the figure)
- Thick Nylon brush (for loosely brushing the background)
If you are unsure about what to bring or what to make, find me on Facebook and we’ll chat! OR alternatively buy a mini supplies pack at the event for R60 per pack.
- Socialise and meet new people
- Feed your creative soul – this project is all about letting loose!
- Learn mixed media techniques
- Gain useful tips on basic portrait painting. I.e. serves as an entry level into learning how to realistically paint people
- Walk away with a fun, unique, one-of-a-kind work of art
This event will be held at the fabulous The Daily Coffee Cafe, Menlo Park, a place with a beautiful setting and the best coffee in town!
BOOK YOUR PLACE
This event costs R350 per person. You are most welcome to purchase food and beverages straight from the restaurant.
JC V ROOYEN
Branch code: 909
Please use your name as Reference number